We’re featuring traceable specialty coffee from Bokkisa, Ethiopia for our second release of Instant Coffee. We collaborated with Swift Cup Coffee to bring this offering to market. Just tear open a packet or scoop a half teaspoon, mix it with about 10 ounces of hot or cold water, and stir. The resulting brew is the next best thing to a freshly brewed cup at one of our coffee bars.
Are you doing a double take at this product? That makes sense because most freeze-dried/instant coffee is absolutely terrible. That is because the worst of the worst coffee is used to make most of the products in the grocery stores. We have been tasting soluble coffee from other roasters and have been impressed with the results. Our R&D process was lengthy and we found the brewing and dehydration process used by Swift Cup offered the best representation of our coffees.
SIZES, FORMATS, AND BUYING FREQUENCY
We’ve got two formats this year:
- 10-pack, 25-pack, and 50-pack boxes contain individually packaged servings in biodegradable sachets. Just rip one open and pour into a cup. Add your liquid, mix, and stir.
- 100g jars contain loose freeze-dried coffee. Measure 5g (about 1/2 tablespoon) and stir it into your liquid of choice.
We’ve got a few buying options!
- “Just send me one now!”: You’re in the right place! Just pick 10-packs, 25-packs, 50-packs, or a 100g jar and we’ll charge you once and send one as soon as we can.
- “Send me one now AND every month”: Visit the instant coffee subscription page and pick any size and we’ll send one right away and keep sending you one every month until we’re out. PLUS, YOU WON’T PAY SHIPPING!
The specialty instant Bokkisa coffee from Ethiopia is an amazing alternative to all those times when you can’t get to a Blueprint Coffee Bar or you don’t have your scale, dripper, and burr grinder with you. Some great situations for Blueprint Instant:
- Visiting your parents over the holiday…..(we see you 26-month-old can of store brand)
- The office
- A pack in the glove box for road trips
- In your purse/bag for when you can’t make it to the coffee shop before work
- Tucked into a saddle bag to turn that water bottle into a cold brew along your century ride
- On a long flight
- Hotel rooms
Sookoo Coffee operates in Ethiopia, in the Guji zone of the Oromia region. While the western part of the Guji zone is lush with forests and jungles, the eastern side is more arid. Rich in minerals and gold, the area has experienced major deforestation. Responsible coffee growing presents an opportunity to refresh the area’s landscape both economically and ecologically.
Ture Waji worked as export manager for his family’s farms before launching Sookoo Coffee in 2018. Sookoo Coffee’s drying stations are located high in the mountains outside of Shakisso. Local farmers are incentivized to sell top-quality coffee cherries at a rate of 1 to 2 birr higher per kilogram. Prices are arranged before harvest, so farmers know what to expect without need for haggling. Sookoo Coffee also offers training, financing, and even schooling for kids to help promote education and improved coffee growing practices.
2020 GUJI VISIT
Sookoo Coffee hosted a visit from one of our team members in February 2020, at their largest drying station in the Dambi Uddo Kabele. Here, we had the opportunity to discuss Ture’s goals for Sookoo Coffee. This includes replanting native trees on coffee farms and distributing trees to member farmers. Ture embodies responsibility toward the land and people of Ethiopia, and we feel privileged to share the second harvest of our partnership.
This offering comes from Bokkisa and represents 35 farmers who are part of the group of Sookoo coffee growers. Natural processing methods complement the signature, fruit-forward flavor profile of this region’s coffee. Anticipate a sweet, syrupy cup with notes of citrus, peach, pineapple, and mango.
TEAM TASTE NOTES
butterscotch, peach, orange, fruit syrup, lime, pineapple, mango
- Hangadhi, Shakisso, Guji
- 1800 – 1950 MASL
- Natural, Freeze Dried
- Guji Local Landraces
- October – December 2019
- Partnership Length:
- 2nd Harvest
- Sourcing Partners:
- Dambi Uddo (mill), Sookoo Coffee (farm group), Atlantic Specialty (importer)
- Cut Sheet - Bokkisa
- Download (317 KB)